This half day course aims to help you successfully prepare for, conduct and report on debates in the Sheriff Court. Though not a prerequisite, it is designed to explore themes introduced in 'The Sheriff Court (Civil) - everything you need to know' and is regarded as a companion course to ‘Proofs in the Sheriff Court (Civil)’.
This course will:
- provide a refresher on Sheriff Court ordinary procedure
- explore the role of written pleadings & preliminary pleas
- explain how to draft a Rule 22 Note
- discuss amendment of pleadings to cure defects therein
- provide practical guidance on how to prepare for and conduct a debate
- consider changes in civil practice & procedure in the Sheriff Court in response to Covid 19
This course is designed to satisfy a number of PEAT2 outcomes (professional communication: advocacy and professional ethics and standards: duties to the court) as well as build confidence in potential civil litigators.